Beechworth and the whole North East region has something for everyone. Once a thriving gold rush town producing some of the richest diggings in Victoria, and the stamping ground of some famous highwaymen and bushrangers, Beechworth has one of Victoria’s best preserved 19th century streetscapes. While you’re here check out Beechworth’s Historic and Cultural Precinct by visiting the award winning Burke Museum, the Ned Kelly Vault (includes Sydney Nolan’s last painting of Ned Kelly), the Beechworth Courthouse, Telegraph Station, Powder Magazine and Chinese Burning Towers or soak them all up with a guided town walk.
Other great things to do include –
- Test your nerve with a Ghost Tour at the old Mayday Hills Lunatic Asylum
- Visit the historic Murray Breweries and Carriage Museum
- Enjoy live music and local hospitality at one of Beechworth’s four historic hotels and have a drink at the bar where members of the Kelly Gang once stood
- Follow the Indigo Gold Trail and try your hand at gold panning
- Visit the spiritual and ceremonial Yeddonba Aboriginal Art site at Mount pilot and learn more about the local indigenous clans. The faded but very significant paintings of a Tasmanian Tiger, a Goanna and a Snake are well over 2000 years old
- Cycle the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail or go mountain biking at the Beechworth Mountain Bike Park.
- For the bushwalking, fishing or birdwatching enthusiast, take in some nature and breathtaking views by visiting our National Parks, rivers, waterfalls and lakes.